Maca root (lepidium meyenii) is an adaptogen and a member of the cruciferous family, like broccoli and cabbage, but due to it’s unique properties it considered one of the world’s natural “super foods.” Maca is grown high in the mountains of South America, mainly in high altitude regions of Peru.
The pleasant tasting root is usually available in powder form after being harvested and grounded down. The maca root benefits include a positive effect on hormone balance, energy levels, and a health booster.
And not only is it a natural source of healing nutrition, but it also has a long history of being a safe super-food that has been consumed for its medicinal benefits for thousands of years in regions of the Andes Mountains.
The major reasons women take Maca are:
- Muscle building (Black Maca), Increasing energy, Increasing stamina, Boosting libido (Red Maca), Enhancing fertility (Red Maca), Hair growth, Improving skin tone, Enhancing curves, Balancing hormones during menopause (Red Maca), Preventing Osteoperosis, Supporting Thyroid health, Enhancing mental focus and clarity and Reducing depression.
The major reasons that men take Maca are:
- Muscle building (Black Maca), Increasing energy, Increasing stamina, Boosting libido and overcoming erectile dysfunction, Enhancing fertility (Black Maca), Hair growth, Prostate health (Red Maca), Strong teeth and bones, Enhancing mental focus and clarity and Reducing depression.
Maca provides a powerful source of nutrition, including:
- Over 20 amino acids, including 8 essential amino acids
- 20 free-form fatty acids (such as lauric, linolenic, palmitic acid, oleic , and steric acid)
- Vitamins B-1, B-2, C and E
Maca is also a rich source of phytonutrients.